Thursday, August 21, 2008

Slipper Surplus

It's pretty common knowledge that people in Japan take off their shoes when entering a place, and sometimes put on slippers. While this is true, it doesn't happen everywhere. Most of the big businesses I have been too request you take off your shoes, leave them on the mat or in a little locker, and wear inside slippers. All of the schools ask you to do this too. There is the occasional exception, like Sony. Sony seems to be pretty casual; all of their employees actually wear jeans. When I asked Lisa about this, she told me that Sony just wanted to make sure their employees were so comfortable so they'd never want to go home.

All of the slippers are a basic design made from plastic. The biggest variant is the color. Some are blue, some green, while other are tan or white. After running around in heels, you'd think I would be grateful for a pair of flat, somewhat squishy slippers, but that's not really the case. The problem, you see, is that I have a difficult time walking in the waterproof slippers, especially if I am required to climb stairs! My pantyhose-covered feet are always threatening to slip from under me. And although the slippers fit the length of my big foot, they are too wide. As I climb the stairs I wonder, " Oh, there goes the slipper again. Shoot, gotta keep my foot in the slipper. "

I mean, what would happen if my foot made contact with the ground? It can't be that big of a taboo; other people are sure to have done it. But all the Japanese businessmen are probably thinking, "Those stupid gaijin. They can't even wear slipper right."

Here's a sample of these torturous footwear:



5 comments:

Unknown said...

if u go to public places and use their slippers... umm i have to ask are they like the bowling shoes here? do they sanitize them? at least with bowling shoes u wear your own socks, but... ewww.

Anonymous said...

Well at least the blue slippers kind of matched your top in the one photo haha. I'm wondering the same thing as Theresa, are they like bowling shoes? Are they disposable? And what's with the tradition? Is there an explanation for this?

Marie

Anonymous said...

Hi, Steph,
What do the workers at Sony wear? Tennis shoes with their jeans?
Mom

Anonymous said...

I am not sure why the time on my previous comment says 3:19 AM. It is 6:19 here on Friday morning. Maybe it's based on Pacific Time or something from wherever you set up this blogsite. Mom

Anonymous said...

Hi, Steph,
I'm still here. Dad :)