Tuesday, January 27, 2009

1/2 Birthday

Ever since my Grandpa Hamelly started it, I have been celebrating (or at least remembering) my half birthday. It's something important to me because I shared with my grandpa and something for which I have a lot emotional attachment. Usually if I do anything at all it's maybe having a half cake. I remember my grandpa making some kind of cake, but instead of baking it in cake pans, he baked it in 2 bread pans. My half bday over here has been ok.

It's great in the sense that I got lots of presents! Ok, so they aren't 1/2 bday presents, but it was nice to get some packages anyway. Steph sent a belated Christmas box full of sweets, Twilight paraphernalia (including a wicked cool shirt), and pretty dragonfly earrings. My parents set a box of needed warm clothing, sweets, and Mass read alongs and meditations. I thought it would old clothes, but there was a nice black suit and a sparkly blue sweater! I'm gonna be so cute tomorrow in my new clothes!

The bad side, balancing it all out to an ok, is that I am coming down with something. We went for a friends bday party Sunday night, and I stayed out later than I planned on. I already wasn't feeling too hot, but I just drank it away and enjoyed myself at the party. Today has been the worse day so far. My voice is scratchy and I know my skin looks pale and sickly, but unless I have a high fever I can't shake I have to go to work. I don't have enough vacation or sick time to take off just because I don't feel well.

Yesterday I went to the pharmacist to get medication, but of course I couldn't read any of the boxes and the pictures weren't too helpful. Starting with "Suimasen ..." (excuse me) I pointed to my nose and tried to gesture drippy. Guess I'd be great at Charades cuz he understood me immediately. It was more humorous watching him try to gesture out 3 capsules a day, one every 8 hours, eat first.

Today in the office I was a bit snippy with ppl. When I explained about 1/2 birthday, the new guy it was ridiculous, or stupid, or something along those lines to which I curtly replied, "No, it isn't."
I gave short answers all day in the office, but I was nice to my students. Maybe it's because I'm sick, maybe it's because I was offended, maybe it's because that new guy always seems to rub me the wrong way, or maybe it's just a combination of lots of reasons.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

im getting over a cold myself. lol and sat night i didnt come home till 6:30am sun morning. hope u feel better.

Anonymous said...

Aw I hope you feel better! And happy half birthday! It's not stupid, always up for celebrating the life of a loved one!
marie